Follow along with my husband & I as we go traipsing through cemeteries photographing grave markers and transcribing tombstones. Hopefully, we'll learn a little about burial customs and the study of cemeteries along the way.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wednesday's Child: Eva, Percy and Grace Pool

 
Taken at Mt. View Cemetery by Tombstone Jack

This photo breaks my heart.  To loose a child is a terrible thing, but to loose three within three years!  I would have gone insane!  Eva was just over one year old when she died in 1890, Percy was exactly one year old and died on his birthday in 1892, and Grace, who born 12 days after the death of her brother, was only five months old when she died in 1982.  I can only imagine the grief and rage in their home.  Grief at the loss and rage at the unfairness of it all.  The verse beneath Eva's stone says it all:

She faltered by the wayside, and the angels took her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment